Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Crab is in season!

I love living in the Bay Area, and around this time of year, I REALLY love it! The reason? Crab season has begun! I really enjoy eating things that are in season and then leaving them off the rotation while they are not. It makes it so much more special when you do finally get to have it. Not to mention less expensive, and with crab, that really matters. Now I know you East Coast folks swear by your Blue Crab, but not me-too much work and not enough pay off. Nothing beats the West Coast's "Holy Trinity" of crab with lemon butter, fresh, local sourdough bread for dipping, and a glass of Sonoma county chardonnay. But often I like to take it further with my crab, being the foodie that I am.
I have included a recipe that my family makes every crab season that is really a dressed up version of the classic basic crab. I promise you, once you have had it this way, you may consider this your new classic version, I know my family does! The best thing about this recipe is that you can make it a day ahead and it will taste better and make having guests to dinner a snap.
Garlic marinated crab:
1 whole cracked and cleaned crab per person
1 head of garlic, minced
1 cup olive oil
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
salt and pepper-generous amounts
juice of 1 lemon
red pepper flakes to taste
In a large bowl (big enough to hold your crab) combine the oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper, red pepper and cilantro. Mix together. Add crab and mix in with dressing. refrigerate for several hours to overnight (overnight is best) stirring every few hours to evenly distribute the dressing. Serve with hot sourdough bread to dunk in the dressing and a huge green salad.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment